Playtime in the East End
KIDS celebrated national Playday with new playgrounds for East End estates last week.
Play Association Tower Hamlets has produced a map showing newly refurbished parks, adventure playgrounds and City farms where children can go and staff joined children at new playgrounds on Spitalfields estates, including at Brune House in Bell Lane, officially opened by housing association East End Homes on Thursday.
Amy Little, senior campaigns officer at Play England, said: “We know from our own research and from speaking to children, parents, and other adults, that children need freedom and space to play in their own communities, and communities want that to happen.
“Sadly today’s children don’t have the freedom and space to play enjoyed by their parents and grandparents before them, and that’s something we’re campaigning to change.
“Playday is an opportunity to get people talking about the issue, to get communities together to support children’s play, and most of all to have a lot of fun in the process.”
You may also want to watch:
The new play map can be downloaded from the Play Association Tower Hamlets web site www.playtowerhamlets.org.uk
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 5 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences