Plea for bone marrow donor to help young mum Karla’s life
A NURSE is appealing for bone marrow donors in East London to save her daughter-in-law’s life. Heartbroken Debbie Lawrence has already gone through the agony of losing a son to leukaemia when he was 18
A NURSE is appealing for bone marrow donors in East London to save her daughter-in-law’s life.
Heartbroken Debbie Lawrence has already gone through the agony of losing a son to leukaemia when he was 18.
Now she faces a similar heartache over her second son Terry’s 21-year-old partner Karla Neckles who also has leukaemia.
Karla, a Gym instructor from Woodford in East London, urgently needs a bone marrow transplant after undergoing chemotherapy. The couple have a six-month-old son, Josh.
“Karla’s such a lovely girl—it’s so heartbreaking,” Debbie told the East London Advertiser.
“My grandchild has lost his dad to leukaemia. I would be devastated if Josh lost his mum, too.”
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 3 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 4 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
The family moved to Woodford from Bethnal Green after her son Lee died, but Terry is still a familiar face in the East End.
“We need something desperately,” Debbie added. “Karla’s grandfather was half-Caribbean so we particularly need people who are mixed race to come forward.
“The more people are tested the more chance Karla has to live—she needs the transplant urgently to survive.”
Bone marrow donors can go online to the Anthony Nolan Trust or 020 7 284 1234.