Please re-Tweet? Dad bets on daughter to get more followers than Obama, Gaga and Justin Bieber
- Credit: Archant
A father who fancies his 15-year-old daughter’s chances of out-doing the likes of Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and Barack Obama has had a flutter on her becoming the first person to reach 100million Twitter followers.
In an “outrageous” show of faith in his daughter, Karim Ullah put £10 on his daughter to smash records on the social networking site, at odds of 1000-1.
Schoolgirl Shakila Karim is hoping to be the next teen pop sensation to amass millions of dedicated followers – and her dad Karim is backing her to succeed.
“I know no one has 50 million followers on Twitter yet which, of course, makes reaching 100 million followers an incredibly ambitious target,” the 40-year-old said.
“It’s an outrageous number, but I’m confident that Shakila’s going to be doing a lot of interesting things as a singer and musician, which will create a real buzz.”
Mr Ullah, a writer for a golf magazine, added that he would donate all proceedings to children’s charity Barnardo’s if his bet comes through.
Shakila, who went to Gatehouse Primary School in Bethnal Green but now lives in Hertfordshire, says she enjoys tweeting inspirational quotes to the 1,900 followers she has amassed since signing up as @1Shakila just over a year ago.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Leyton Orient progress in FA Cup with huge win over Tranmere
- 7 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 8 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
She said: “I’d love to have many more followers on Twitter as I want more people to listen to my music. I’ve noticed so many more people are following me on Twitter after I started tweeting a lot more - and I hope that trend will continue.”
The world’s top tweeter is currently teen pop sensation Justin Bieber, who boasts a following of more than 44million ‘Beliebers’.
Other star attractions include US President Barack Obama, with 36m followers, and Lady Gaga, who has 40m followers.
A spokesman for William Hill, which took the bet, said the bookmakers were not ruling out a surprise payout.
“Shakila will have to have a meteoric rise in order to trouble the likes of Bieber and Gaga, but she appears to be on the cusp of something big,” he said.
“We could be readying the winnings in the next year or so.”