Poker player from Bow wins £28k at casino in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A poker player from Bow brought home £28,464 in a tournament at Aspers casino in Stratford on the weekend.
A poker player from Bow scooped almost £29,000 at a two-day tournament in a casino in Stratford.
James Simms painstakingly played for 16 hours at Aspers casino before winning £28,464 last weekend.
The 35-year-old, who’s originally from Leicestershire but has lived in Bow for the last six years, has been in the gambling industry since he was 18.
He said: “It felt amazing.
You may also want to watch:
“I like these live tournaments better than online ones because I like the interaction of people, online poker is more about the mathematics.”
James won a free ticket to the tournament, which cost £440 to enter, by winning a previous competition and will take his winnings to Vegas with him in June, where he plans on spending the fortune on another tournament.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
“The world series is on, which is like poker for the elites,” he said.
“I went and played in it last year and while I won some money, I didn’t actually do that well in the tournament – I want to change that this year.”