Police appeal after bogus caller steals cash from Stepney resident
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home. The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old s door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thu
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home.
The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old's door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thursday.
He barged into the house saying he wanted to read the meter and asked the victim to put the kettle on.
The intruder then left and it was not until the following day that the victim realised he had escaped with the cash.
The suspect is described as a white male, 5'7", slim to average build, short medium brown hair, clean shaven, wearing a dark waist length casual jacket.
Contact DC Justin Franklin in the Burglary Squad on 0208 217 4113 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed