Police appeal after bogus caller steals cash from Stepney resident
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home. The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old s door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thu
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home.
The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old's door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thursday.
He barged into the house saying he wanted to read the meter and asked the victim to put the kettle on.
The intruder then left and it was not until the following day that the victim realised he had escaped with the cash.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as a white male, 5'7", slim to average build, short medium brown hair, clean shaven, wearing a dark waist length casual jacket.
Contact DC Justin Franklin in the Burglary Squad on 0208 217 4113 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 2 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Spitalfields banner unfurled to express solidarity with Palestine
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 7 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 8 Bethnal Green martial arts gym launches fundraiser to expand outreach
- 9 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed