Police appeal after bogus caller steals cash from Stepney resident
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home. The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old s door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thu
POLICE are appealing for information for a distraction burglary in which an elderly resident had money snatched from his home.
The thief was pretending to be from the gas board when he knocked on the 86-year-old's door in Bromley Street in Stepney on Thursday.
He barged into the house saying he wanted to read the meter and asked the victim to put the kettle on.
The intruder then left and it was not until the following day that the victim realised he had escaped with the cash.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as a white male, 5'7", slim to average build, short medium brown hair, clean shaven, wearing a dark waist length casual jacket.
Contact DC Justin Franklin in the Burglary Squad on 0208 217 4113 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park