Police arrest driver of Mercedes car after Mile End Road crash death
A man has been arrested after his car was involved in a fatal collision with a motorcyclist on Mile End Road yesterday.
The driver of a Mercedes car collided with a Honda motorcycle at around 7.35am close to the junction with Harford Street.
Police officers and the London Ambulance Service attended the scene and the male motorcyclist, believed to be in his 40s, was taken to an east London hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8.33am.
His next of kin have been informed.
The Mercedes driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and taken to an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
He has been bailed to return pending further enquiries.
Detective Sergeant Mark Robson, of the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath, said: “We are keen to speak with the driver of a white ‘Ford Transit size and style’ van that was stationary close to the collision at the time of the incident, but left the scene prior to police arrival.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
“We believe that this driver may have witnessed the collision and could be able to assist the investigation.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact police on 020