Police arrest driver of Mercedes car after Mile End Road crash death
A man has been arrested after his car was involved in a fatal collision with a motorcyclist on Mile End Road yesterday.
The driver of a Mercedes car collided with a Honda motorcycle at around 7.35am close to the junction with Harford Street.
Police officers and the London Ambulance Service attended the scene and the male motorcyclist, believed to be in his 40s, was taken to an east London hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8.33am.
His next of kin have been informed.
The Mercedes driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and taken to an east London police station.
He has been bailed to return pending further enquiries.
Detective Sergeant Mark Robson, of the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath, said: “We are keen to speak with the driver of a white ‘Ford Transit size and style’ van that was stationary close to the collision at the time of the incident, but left the scene prior to police arrival.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 6 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
“We believe that this driver may have witnessed the collision and could be able to assist the investigation.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact police on 020