Police hunt man over schoolgirl rape and forced marriage’ claim
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him. The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him.
The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister.
The elder Bangladeshi girl who is now 17 contacted police over fears she was being forced into a second marriage.
She had been the victim of a forced marriage in April, 2007, while she was 15 and living in Bethnal Green, she told police.
A police spokeswoman said: “The sham marriage took place at an address in the E2 area. She alleged she was subsequently raped by the man.
- 1 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 2 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 6 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 7 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 8 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
“Further enquiries revealed a second girl, then aged 12, had also been sexually assaulted by the man.”
Extensive police enquiries continue to trace the man. The Met’s Child Abuse Investigation team at Stratford is investigating.
Officers arrested a 53-year-old woman three weeks ago on suspicion of aiding and abetting rape.
She has also been arrested on a separate matter concerning an alleged assault on a six-year-old boy.