Police hunt man over schoolgirl rape and forced marriage’ claim
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him. The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him.
The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister.
The elder Bangladeshi girl who is now 17 contacted police over fears she was being forced into a second marriage.
She had been the victim of a forced marriage in April, 2007, while she was 15 and living in Bethnal Green, she told police.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said: “The sham marriage took place at an address in the E2 area. She alleged she was subsequently raped by the man.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
“Further enquiries revealed a second girl, then aged 12, had also been sexually assaulted by the man.”
Extensive police enquiries continue to trace the man. The Met’s Child Abuse Investigation team at Stratford is investigating.
Officers arrested a 53-year-old woman three weeks ago on suspicion of aiding and abetting rape.
She has also been arrested on a separate matter concerning an alleged assault on a six-year-old boy.