Police hunt man over schoolgirl rape and forced marriage’ claim
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him. The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister
POLICE are hunting a man over the alleged rape of a schoolgirl from London’s East End who was forced to marry him.
The man, from Bangladesh in his early 40s, is also wanted over claims that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl, believed to be her younger sister.
The elder Bangladeshi girl who is now 17 contacted police over fears she was being forced into a second marriage.
She had been the victim of a forced marriage in April, 2007, while she was 15 and living in Bethnal Green, she told police.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said: “The sham marriage took place at an address in the E2 area. She alleged she was subsequently raped by the man.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
“Further enquiries revealed a second girl, then aged 12, had also been sexually assaulted by the man.”
Extensive police enquiries continue to trace the man. The Met’s Child Abuse Investigation team at Stratford is investigating.
Officers arrested a 53-year-old woman three weeks ago on suspicion of aiding and abetting rape.
She has also been arrested on a separate matter concerning an alleged assault on a six-year-old boy.