Police pledge to crack down on crime in Mile End
COPS have pledged to dramatically reduce crime and antisocial behaviour in Mile End. Officers from Tower Hamlets Police, British Transport Police and council staff were briefed in Eric Street on Monday at the launch of a new initiative to clamp down on cr
COPS have pledged to dramatically reduce crime and antisocial behaviour in Mile End.
Officers from Tower Hamlets Police, British Transport Police and council staff were briefed in Eric Street on Monday at the launch of a new initiative to clamp down on crime on the Eric and Treby Estates, around Mile End Tube Station and in Mile End Park.
Officers will be carrying out high visibility patrols around Mile End, a metal detecting screening arch will be set up at Mile End Underground Station and officers will carry out search warrants.
Supt Mark Wolski said: "It is my intention to increase patrols in those areas where crime and antisocial behaviour is likely to be committed.
"It is my overall desire to do our best to ensure that crime is dramatically reduced within the designated area during the hours of the operation. We will continue to work to make Mile End a safer place."
Last week the Advertiser reported how police have set up a dispersal zone around the Eric and Treby Estates and are using powers to move groups of teenagers on.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 7 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 8 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 10 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
Detective Inspector Luke Marks, responsible for the planning and implementation of the initiative said: "Mile End Road is a major thoroughfare within Tower Hamlets and activity will focus around Mile End Tube Station, Mile End Park and Mile End bus station.
"This initiative is part of an ongoing process within the borough to drive crime down further and take robust and assertive action against those whose chose to commit crime or engage in antisocial behaviour.