Police probe suspicious night-time blaze in car yard
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night thought to have been started deliberately. Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night (Thursday) thought to have been started deliberately.
Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow.
But emergency crews from Bow and Poplar managed to prevent the flames spreading to nearby homes.
“The fires were well alight when we got there,” said a senior firefighter. “But we managed stop flames reaching to the portable cabin office in the yard.”
You may also want to watch:
Several 999 calls were received from passers-by just before 9pm. Police had to close Fairfield Road for two hours while the blaze was being tackled, which affected bus routes turning round at Bow Garage further along the street.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze