Police probe suspicious night-time blaze in car yard
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night thought to have been started deliberately. Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night (Thursday) thought to have been started deliberately.
Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow.
But emergency crews from Bow and Poplar managed to prevent the flames spreading to nearby homes.
“The fires were well alight when we got there,” said a senior firefighter. “But we managed stop flames reaching to the portable cabin office in the yard.”
You may also want to watch:
Several 999 calls were received from passers-by just before 9pm. Police had to close Fairfield Road for two hours while the blaze was being tackled, which affected bus routes turning round at Bow Garage further along the street.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 8 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges