Police probe suspicious night-time blaze in car yard
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night thought to have been started deliberately. Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow
POLICE are investigating a blaze in a car breakers’ yard in East London last night (Thursday) thought to have been started deliberately.
Five vehicles appear to have been set alight at the yard in Fairfield Road in Bow.
But emergency crews from Bow and Poplar managed to prevent the flames spreading to nearby homes.
“The fires were well alight when we got there,” said a senior firefighter. “But we managed stop flames reaching to the portable cabin office in the yard.”
You may also want to watch:
Several 999 calls were received from passers-by just before 9pm. Police had to close Fairfield Road for two hours while the blaze was being tackled, which affected bus routes turning round at Bow Garage further along the street.
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 4 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 7 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 8 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job