Police seek mystery hero in Shadwell suspicious river death
A MYSTERY man who plunged into the icy waters of a Thames dock basin in a desperate attempt rescue a drowning man may hold the key to his death. Police are keen to talk to the man tried to save 20-year-old Ibrahim Gharib who died in suspicious circumstances at Shadwell Basin
By Keir Mudie
A MYSTERY man who plunged into the icy waters of a Thames dock basin in a desperate attempt rescue a drowning man may hold the key to his death.
Police are keen to talk to the man who tried to save 20-year-old Ibrahim Gharib who died in suspicious circumstances at Shadwell Basin in East London late Thursday evening, it emerged today.
The man left the scene of tragedy shortly after his rescue bid.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives believe Ibrahim was involved in a fight with others before he plunged into the water.
The man who tried to save him, described as stocky, bald and in his 30s, is not a suspect and officers believe he holds vital information.
- 1 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 2 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Spitalfields banner unfurled to express solidarity with Palestine
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 8 Bethnal Green martial arts gym launches fundraiser to expand outreach
- 9 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
Det Ins Brian Mather told the East London Advertiser tonight: “Establishing who this man is would be crucial to our investigation.
“He jumped into the water and tried to save Ibrahim, but would have been forced out because of the cold.”
Ibrahim plunged into the water from the quayside at around 9.30pm last Thursday. He had been sitting talking with a 17-year-old girl before a group of youths approached.
The girl’s screams attracted passers-by who tried to rescue Ibrahim.
Another man joined in the rescue attempt by leaping into the water. Officers have already spoken to him.
Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder, aged 20 and 22, who have both been released on police bail.
Police ruled out any gang links and are checking CCTV in the area and carrying out house-to-house enquiries.
They are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to call the incident room on 020-8345 3734, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.