Police seek mystery hero in Shadwell suspicious river death
A MYSTERY man who plunged into the icy waters of a Thames dock basin in a desperate attempt rescue a drowning man may hold the key to his death. Police are keen to talk to the man tried to save 20-year-old Ibrahim Gharib who died in suspicious circumstances at Shadwell Basin
By Keir Mudie
A MYSTERY man who plunged into the icy waters of a Thames dock basin in a desperate attempt rescue a drowning man may hold the key to his death.
Police are keen to talk to the man who tried to save 20-year-old Ibrahim Gharib who died in suspicious circumstances at Shadwell Basin in East London late Thursday evening, it emerged today.
The man left the scene of tragedy shortly after his rescue bid.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives believe Ibrahim was involved in a fight with others before he plunged into the water.
The man who tried to save him, described as stocky, bald and in his 30s, is not a suspect and officers believe he holds vital information.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Det Ins Brian Mather told the East London Advertiser tonight: “Establishing who this man is would be crucial to our investigation.
“He jumped into the water and tried to save Ibrahim, but would have been forced out because of the cold.”
Ibrahim plunged into the water from the quayside at around 9.30pm last Thursday. He had been sitting talking with a 17-year-old girl before a group of youths approached.
The girl’s screams attracted passers-by who tried to rescue Ibrahim.
Another man joined in the rescue attempt by leaping into the water. Officers have already spoken to him.
Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder, aged 20 and 22, who have both been released on police bail.
Police ruled out any gang links and are checking CCTV in the area and carrying out house-to-house enquiries.
They are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to call the incident room on 020-8345 3734, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.