‘Break-in’ at Tower Hamlets Council offices triggers security fears
PUBLISHED: 18:00 03 April 2013 | UPDATED: 18:00 03 April 2013
Claims of an attempted break-in to Tower Hamlets Council offices containing confidential documents have triggered a security review at the town hall.
An investigation was launched after the door of the Labour group’s office was found jammed following a break-in attempt.
The security breach is alleged to have taken place on the weekend of March 9 and 10 - just days after Independent Mayor Lutfur Rahman was defeated by opposition councillors in a crucial budget vote.
Outgoing Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck said similar incidents have occurred in the past.
“The council must take steps to protect councillors’ offices and make sure nobody has access who shouldn’t”, he added.
The first floor office in question is in an area only accessible to councillors and senior town hall staff. Labour said it contained private documents, including budget plans and constituent casework.
A council spokesperson confirmed an investigation had been completed, but said there was insufficient evidence to suggest a break-in.
“We are currently considering options as to how security, in that particular part of the building, might be improved”, she added.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.