Labour MP Jim Fitzpatrick accuses independent Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman of ‘power grab’
PUBLISHED: 14:18 14 May 2012
Jim Fitzpatrick, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, today expressed concern about what is being viewed as a ‘power grab’ by Mayor Lutfur Rahman in Tower Hamlets.
The MP was due to meet Mayor Rahman at the Town Hall at 11am today (Monday) to raise issues that had been brought to his attention by residents and local organisations, namely:
· The centralised commissioning of Youth Services;
· The new structure and appointments system for the Board of Tower Hamlets Homes;
· The stripping of the Isle of Dogs Community Foundation of S106 distribution responsibilities;
· The setting up of a new Graduate Forum when the East London Business Alliance has been running a successful scheme;
· Demanding business rates from local charities and not-for-profit bodies, threatening their future.
However, Mayor Rahman did not make the meeting due to a family health issue. Principal officers from the council handled the meeting instead.
Mr Fitzpatrick said: “it is very disappointing the Mayor cancelled our third meeting in a row, but family comes first, obviously. I am very concerned that his recent decisions will lead to poorer services for the local community, especially youth services. I hope he will reconsider these matters.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.