Town Hall boss who got Tower Hamlets through Lutfur Rahman crisis era has quit tonight

PUBLISHED: 18:49 30 June 2016 | UPDATED: 10:29 01 July 2016

Town Hall restructure... resignation

Town Hall restructure... resignation


The man who steered Tower Hamlets council through its turbulent years under disgraced mayor Lutfur Rahman has quit the once-controversial local authority in east London.

Tower Hamlets CouncilTower Hamlets Council

Corporate director Stephen Halsey, in charge of running its Communities and Culture services, stepped down today as part of a restructuring of the authority, his place being taken over temporarily by the Town Hall’s chief executive.

“I am leaving the council by mutual agreement and under amicable circumstances,” he said. “I have considered the council’s need to restructure its senior management team.”

He then thanked the staff he had worked with over the past nine years for their “commitment, support and achievements”.

Tower Hamlets Chief Execurtive Will Tuckley takes over from Stephen HalseyTower Hamlets Chief Execurtive Will Tuckley takes over from Stephen Halsey

His departure was agreed by the council’s General Purposes committee which met last night in private session on the seventh floor of the Town Hall.

A major restructuring of the council’s senior management is underway following the downfall of the Rahman administration which led to government commissioners setting up shop in the town hall to manage council spending.

Details are being revealed in the autumn, following a complete of a review of the council’s senior management by Chief Executive Will Tuckley, who is taking up Mr Halsey’s duties the meantime.

Will Tuckley... restructuring Tower Hamlets council [photo: David Tothill]Will Tuckley... restructuring Tower Hamlets council [photo: David Tothill]

Mr Tuckley said: “Steve has worked hard on the council’s priorities and I’m grateful for the contribution has made over the years and since my arrival here last year.”

Stephen Halsey, who joined the council in 2007, took the helm in stormy waters as the council’s interim Head of Paid Service in July, 2012, amid the crisis when Mayor Rahman locked horns with the majority Labour Party by refusing to fill the vacant chief executive post from the legal selection process after two years.

He kept things running beyond Rahman’s downfall—who was sacked as mayor by the High Court in April last year for election fraud and malpractice in public office—right through the transitional period after new mayor John Biggs took over.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser