Poplar and Limehouse MP meets job-seekers
- Credit: Archant
Unemployed people in Tower Hamlets had the chance to tell their MP about their experiences when he dropped in to visit a government jobs scheme in Aldgate.
Jim Fitzpatrick, who represents Poplar and Limehouse, met job seekers taking part in the government’s Work Programme to find out more about the initiative, which is being run by the Department for Work and Pensions with work and training agencies Avanta and A4e.
The programme provides group job search sessions, support and advice for entrepreneurs, and help with writing CVs and preparing for interviews.
After the visit to Avanta’s Tower Hamlets office in Back Church Lane, Mr Fitzpatrick said: “I know the most difficult thing about a job is getting it in the first place. It was very good to see constituents working with professionals from Avanta and trying so hard to move into work or start their own business. I wish them all every success.”
Fran Hoey, A4e’s transformation director, said: “We are really proud of the work being done in Tower Hamlets.
“It was a very positive visit and a great chance for some of the job-seekers we support to speak directly to their local representative about their experiences.”
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 9 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 10 'Aggressive, violent behaviour' at Aldgate East tube station