Poplar and Limehouse MP meets job-seekers
- Credit: Archant
Unemployed people in Tower Hamlets had the chance to tell their MP about their experiences when he dropped in to visit a government jobs scheme in Aldgate.
Jim Fitzpatrick, who represents Poplar and Limehouse, met job seekers taking part in the government’s Work Programme to find out more about the initiative, which is being run by the Department for Work and Pensions with work and training agencies Avanta and A4e.
The programme provides group job search sessions, support and advice for entrepreneurs, and help with writing CVs and preparing for interviews.
After the visit to Avanta’s Tower Hamlets office in Back Church Lane, Mr Fitzpatrick said: “I know the most difficult thing about a job is getting it in the first place. It was very good to see constituents working with professionals from Avanta and trying so hard to move into work or start their own business. I wish them all every success.”
Fran Hoey, A4e’s transformation director, said: “We are really proud of the work being done in Tower Hamlets.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a very positive visit and a great chance for some of the job-seekers we support to speak directly to their local representative about their experiences.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims