Poplar bank worker officially named as London Bridge terror attack victim
- Credit: Archant
A bank worker from Poplar has been officially identified today as one of the eight people who died in the London Bridge terrorist attack.
Ignacio Echeverria was last seen lying on the pavement after he used his skateboard as a weapon against one of the knife-wielding terrorist as he tried to save a woman from being attacked.
The 39-year-old Spaniard, who worked as an analyst for HSBC in Canary Wharf, heroically tried to save the woman as he returned from a skateboarding park nearby.
His sister Isabel had launched a social media appeal to try and trace her brother after she failed to find him following calls to hospitals, the police and the Spanish embassy.
On Wednesday, his father, Joaquin Echeverria, said HSBC had hired a private detective who discovered Ignacio had died but the British authorities had not shared any information with them.
You may also want to watch:
Today the Met announced he had been a victim.
Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, both from Barking, and 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba, from east London, used a van to mow down pedestrians on London Bridge before getting out and stabbing people in Borough Market.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
All three were shot dead by armed police.
The seven other victims have all been formally identified, they are: Canadian Chrissy Archibald, 30, and Australian Kirsty Boden, 28, 32-year-old Hackney resident James McMullan, Australian Sara Zelenak, 21, and French nationals Alexandre Pigeard, 27, Xavier Thomas and 36-year-old Sebastien Belanger.