Poplar killing: ‘Community will come together’ says Mayor
- Credit: Tower Hamlets
The Mayor of Tower Hamlets has pledged his support to the friends and family of a man who was killed in Poplar on Thursday following a altercation in a fast food outlet.
Speaking at a vigil service, held at the scene where Zdenek Makar was found in a pool of blood, John Biggs said he was pleased by the police’s response.
“This is a tragic and appalling incident,” the mayor said. “Our thoughts are with Mr Makar’s family and friends at this time.”
“I have no doubt that as a community we will come together to offer them all our support.
“I am pleased that the police acted swiftly and have arrested a number of suspects. At this stage there is no evidence to suggest this attack was in any way racially motivated but we will remain vigilant.”
You may also want to watch:
Zdenek, 31, was returning home close to midnight on Wednesday of last week when he allegedly got into an altercation with a group of men at Perfect Fried Chicken in East India Dock Road.
The Czech national died at the scene, less than 100 yards from the takeaway, at 12.22am on Thursday.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
Raymond Sculley, 29, of Sherman House, Aberfeldy Street, Poplar, has been charged with murder. A trial is due to be held at the Old Bailey on March 20.
Two youths aged 19 and 16 have been bailed until early October.