Poplar portrait chosen as pic to capture Tower Hamlets
A portrait of a Poplar family scene with Canary Wharf in the background has been chosen as the picture which best captures Tower Hamlets by judges.
Jaroslav Zapletal, 40, of School House Lane, Limehouse, was awarded the top prize in the Capture Tower Hamlets competition last night.
The competition drew hundreds of entries as people were invited to submit snaps that best portrayed the changing face of the borough ahead of next year’s Olympic Games.
Announced at the Bancroft Library where 23 of the submissions are now on display, Mr Zapletal’s shot shows a family crossing the road in Poplar with the Wharf’s skyscrapers prominent in the background.
The Czech-born amateur photographer, who only started taking photos three years ago, said he was surprised at his win, admitting he didn’t think the winning snap was the best of his five submissions.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It’s an ongoing project for me, it’s more than a hobby now.
“I like Wapping and this area, by the river, by Canary Wharf and every day I take pictures it.”
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
He won an Olympus camera and was pleased to learn he will get a one-to-one tuition session with one of the judges, photographer Wasma Mansour.
He said: “I am looking for someone to help me select my pictures.
“I’d like to display my work more often in the future.”
A second prize of Canary Wharf shopping vouchers was awarded to Juan Jose Martinez for his two portraits of Bethnal Green Road during the London riots in August.
Many of the submissions will now be added to the photo archive at Bancroft and the exhibition runs until Christmas.
The competition was part of the Mapping the Change project.