Press Gang: Bethnal Green students raise £4,000 for Philippines typhoon victims
- Credit: Archant
Students at a school in Bethnal Green raised a total of £4,000 for a charity that supports victims of the Philippines typhoon.
Events and activities at Bethnal Green Academy over Christmas, including at its Winterfest festival of arts, culture and learning, raised the money for the Philippines via the Disaster Emergency Committee.
Students co-ordinated their own fundraising events, from a £1 sponsored silence to a sold-out football penalty shoot out event against their principal.
There was a simulated bike ride to the Philippines, themed drama performances and a cake bake off.
The students also helped to organise a Winter Fayre, and gave up their time after school to host stalls, selling arts and crafts, winning cakes and chutney made from green tomatoes from the on-site farm.
Students also sold copies of a DVD called the Little Love Mix which highlights their work in the community.
It takes inspiration from the Four Tops’ song I’ll be there and Florence and the Machine’s song You’ve Got the Love to focuses on the students’ help for the elderly, local primary schools and other organisations.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 4 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 7 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 8 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 9 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 10 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
Jennie Montgomerie, deputy principal at the academy, said: “The students were amazing. It is incredible to think that the Academy has one of the highest deprivation indicators in the country and yet, the whole school worked together to raise £4,000”
Bethnal Green Academy is a key stakeholder in the Step Up To Serve Campaign, an independent campaign focussing on young people and social action, whose patrons include Prince Charles.
For more information visit: www.bethnalgreenacademy.co.uk