Press Gang: Bethnal Green students raise £4,000 for Philippines typhoon victims
- Credit: Archant
Students at a school in Bethnal Green raised a total of £4,000 for a charity that supports victims of the Philippines typhoon.
Events and activities at Bethnal Green Academy over Christmas, including at its Winterfest festival of arts, culture and learning, raised the money for the Philippines via the Disaster Emergency Committee.
Students co-ordinated their own fundraising events, from a £1 sponsored silence to a sold-out football penalty shoot out event against their principal.
There was a simulated bike ride to the Philippines, themed drama performances and a cake bake off.
The students also helped to organise a Winter Fayre, and gave up their time after school to host stalls, selling arts and crafts, winning cakes and chutney made from green tomatoes from the on-site farm.
You may also want to watch:
Students also sold copies of a DVD called the Little Love Mix which highlights their work in the community.
It takes inspiration from the Four Tops’ song I’ll be there and Florence and the Machine’s song You’ve Got the Love to focuses on the students’ help for the elderly, local primary schools and other organisations.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Jennie Montgomerie, deputy principal at the academy, said: “The students were amazing. It is incredible to think that the Academy has one of the highest deprivation indicators in the country and yet, the whole school worked together to raise £4,000”
Bethnal Green Academy is a key stakeholder in the Step Up To Serve Campaign, an independent campaign focussing on young people and social action, whose patrons include Prince Charles.
For more information visit: www.bethnalgreenacademy.co.uk