Public hails Victoria Park as among the best in the country
- Credit: Archant
Whilst Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Park is home to the site of the 2012 Olympics it is still not the nation’s favourite East End green space.
That title goes to Tower Hamlets very own Victoria Park which has been voted as one of the UK’s 10 favourite public parks for the third year in a row.
The mayor of Tower Hamlets, John Biggs, said he was ‘incredibly proud’ to see the park crowned as one of the nation’s favourites.
“It’s an amazing achievement and we should congratulate all those who work to make Victoria Park such a wonderful local attraction, not least the many volunteers who have been involved in projects throughout the park this year,” said the mayor.
“Victoria Park is a much loved and well used gem. This award, for the third year running, is a tremendous testament to all the hard work that goes into running the park and shows just how fondly local people appreciate this precious resource.”
You may also want to watch:
The list, compiled by the charity Keep Britain Tidy, features just two London parks, the other being Alexandra Palace Park in Haringey.
Cllr Asma Begum, cabinet member for culture, credited the efforts of volunteers for making the park as special as it is.
- 1 Hunt for bogus health worker who gave fake Covid jab to woman of 92
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
“I’m sure it wouldn’t be such a well-loved park without the tireless work put in by the many volunteer groups who give their time freely to maintain many aspects of the park,” said Cllr Begum.
More than 1,700 parks across the UK with green flag status were eligible for the People’s Choice award, which was voted for by the public.
International green flag award manager, Paul Todd, said being voted one of the UK’s ten favourite parks is ‘quite an achievement’.