Guess why pubgoers at The Albert in Bow had to cycle 50 miles on the spot
- Credit: Craft Union
Pub regulars notched up 50 miles between them on bikes in east London—but weren’t actually going anywhere.
The regulars at the famous Albert pub in Bow were fixed to the spot sweating it out on exercise bikes to help raise £2,000 in a charity bash for a good cause close to their heart.
The watering hole off the Roman Road is one of four Craft Union company’s ale houses that held a “50-mile distance” challenge which included exercise bikes or pacing on a treadmill.
The Albert’s team cycled the equivalent of 50 miles, the distance from Kelly’s traditional pie’n’mash shop opposite the pub to a pie shop on the other side of London.
Pubgoers at the White Horse in Enfield swapped exercise bikes for a treadmill instead, where they took it in turns to tread 50 miles as if walking the length of the River Lea from Hertfordshire down to Bow Creek.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s about local pubs supporting local causes,” the company’s Gavin Chinasamy said. “This was having fun with the distance challenges for causes close to their heart.”
The Bow Haven charity which helps mental health sufferers in the East End is one of this year’s charities receiving cash from the bank-holiday bash. Other charities include Hackney’s St Joseph Hospice in Mare Street, Age Concern and Hands on Hand Out helping London’s homeless.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel