Puppetry for kids at Stratford Circus—but its all Rubbish
- Credit: Stratford Circus
Get ready for when the kids are on half-term when Rubbish is being put on at Stratford Circus—but all fun.
The Theatre-Rites company is staging a cabaret-style production on March 7, 8 and 9 of a world that celebrates its rubbish, where the contents of a bin bag comes alive at the touch of a puppeteer’s hand.
‘Rubbish’ wants kids to celebrate those unloved objects left behind, in a throw-away culture that encourages us to constantly update and replace consumables.
It includes a duckling formed from old tea things that have lost their shine, a bin-bag boy, a jovial shoemaker crafted from old leather and the tools of his long-lost trade—all valuable scraps from a magical junkyard brought to life on stage.
An animate figure is born from discarded objects in each bag of rubbish, sometimes helping to build itself.
You may also want to watch:
The performance shows young audiences the skills and processes puppeteers use to give life to inanimate materials.
Each bin bag tells its own tale, inspiring children to be involved with problems of wastage in a fun and curious environment.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
Rubbish, at Stratford Circus, Theatre Square, Stratford, running time 75 mins, for ages six and above, with accompanying adults. £7 (£5 concs.), March 7-8 performances 10.30am, March 9 at 11.30am and 3pm.