Queen drops in at Olympic Park today
By Pat Coughtrey THE Queen this afternoon returned to the site of the Olympic Park that may well carry her name when the 2012 sport extravaganza comes around.At Stratford from a viewing platform she
THE Queen this afternoon returned to the site of the Olympic Park that may well carry her name when the 2012 sport extravaganza comes around.
At Stratford from a viewing platform she saw the under-construction stadium and venues that will hold a billion sports fans to their TV screens and welcome tens of thousands of overseas visitors to East London.
She also helped plant the first of over 4,000 trees that will create the parklands before walking a section of the 100 metre track and even crossing what will become the finish line, watched by some of the 7,000 construction workers.
Her Majesty last visited the Olympic Park four years ago just after the bid was won when the huge site was just a wasteland.
You may also want to watch:
Game's supremo Seb Coe said: "We are thrilled to welcome Her Majesty back to show the progress we've made. The skyline in this part of London is being changed forever with the Olympic Park becoming a home to world class sport in 2012 and home to a new community afterwards.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man