Queen drops in at Olympic Park today
By Pat Coughtrey THE Queen this afternoon returned to the site of the Olympic Park that may well carry her name when the 2012 sport extravaganza comes around.At Stratford from a viewing platform she
THE Queen this afternoon returned to the site of the Olympic Park that may well carry her name when the 2012 sport extravaganza comes around.
At Stratford from a viewing platform she saw the under-construction stadium and venues that will hold a billion sports fans to their TV screens and welcome tens of thousands of overseas visitors to East London.
She also helped plant the first of over 4,000 trees that will create the parklands before walking a section of the 100 metre track and even crossing what will become the finish line, watched by some of the 7,000 construction workers.
Her Majesty last visited the Olympic Park four years ago just after the bid was won when the huge site was just a wasteland.
You may also want to watch:
Game's supremo Seb Coe said: "We are thrilled to welcome Her Majesty back to show the progress we've made. The skyline in this part of London is being changed forever with the Olympic Park becoming a home to world class sport in 2012 and home to a new community afterwards.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims