Queen Mary college People’s Palace to be restored
THE famous People’s Palace in London’s East End is to be restored to its original art deco glory. The Grade II-listed former theatre that now forms part of Queen Mary college at Mile End is being brought back to its original grandeur
THE famous People's Palace in London's East End is to be restored to its original art deco glory.
The Grade II-listed former theatre that now forms part of Queen Mary London University college campus at Mile End is being brought back to its original grandeur. The building completed in 1936 replaced the original Victorian theatre that was destroyed by fire in 1931.
The main part of the building is the Great Hall, used for major College events like graduation ceremonies and available too for external hire.
The building retains some of its original fittings designed by the cinema architect George Coles and has seven bas-relief panels by the 20th Century sculptor and artist Eric Gill.
You may also want to watch:
The project announced by the college today follows from the restoration of the 19th century Octagon Library three years ago.
Queen Mary college, which has 15,000 London University undergraduate and postgraduate students, is hoping the restored People's Palace will become a focus for cultural events again in East London.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue