Queen Mary postpones Olympics lecture as speaker stranded by volcano
THE LATEST in a series of lectures on the Olympics at Queen Mary College has been postponed as the speaker is stranded in America with the flight ban into the UK. Professor Christopher Young, who is the head of German and Dutch at Cambridge University wa
THE LATEST in a series of lectures on the Olympics at Queen Mary College has been postponed as the speaker is stranded in America with the flight ban into the UK.
Professor Christopher Young, who is the head of German and Dutch at Cambridge University was due to talk about the fateful 1972 Munich Olympics at the event at the Mile End campus tomorrow night (Tuesday April 20).
Unfortunately he is one of the thousands of people unable to fly back to the UK following the eruption of the volcano in Iceland.
The lecture series has covered a range of key events in the history of the Olympics including the 1936 Berlin Olympics and the previous games hosted in London in 1908 and 1948.
You may also want to watch:
Professor Young's lecture will be rescheduled at a later date.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 8 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 9 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings