Queen Mary University students given more drinking time
UNIVERSITY revellers in the East End will be enjoying an extra pint as the Queen Mary Students Union is given the green light to extend its booze licence. The union in Bancroft Road in Mile End has been given the go-ahead to stay open for an extra two
UNIVERSITY revellers in the East End will be enjoying an extra pint as the Queen Mary Students' Union is given the green light to extend its booze licence.
The union in Bancroft Road in Mile End has been given the go-ahead to stay open for an extra two hours on Sunday, Monday and Tuesdays as well as sell alcohol and play music until 2pm throughout the week.
Permission was granted by Tower Hamlets council's Licensing Sub Committee despite opposition from neighbours who claimed the rowdy students were keeping them up at night and parking outside their homes.
Stephen Beckett who lives in Bancroft Road and wrote to the Town Hall said: "One of the many problems caused by the events held there is parking and the disruption to my life and sleep.
You may also want to watch:
"Quite often we have to call university security or the police to curb loud, boisterous or aggressive drunken and anti-social behaviour of the revellers and their guests."
But permission was given on the condition that there would be notices handed out telling students not to park on Bancroft Road and to leave the union quietly.
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 9 Leyton Orient have a big summer ahead of them insists director Ling
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'