Quit posh Docklands offices, Tower Hamlets Tories tell Labour
TORIES in London’s deprived East End are calling for the local authority to quit its expensive offices near Canary Wharf. Opposition councillors want Tower Hamlets to move out of the prestigious Anchorage House in Blackwall, next to the Town Hall, and shift staff back into disused buildings to cut costs
TORIES in London’s deprived East End are calling for the local authority to quit its expensive offices near Canary Wharf.
Opposition councillors want Tower Hamlets to move out of the prestigious Anchorage House in Blackwall, next to the Town Hall, and shift staff back into disused buildings to cut costs and save frontline services.
They are calling for other efficiency savings to bridge a �50 million deficit, in response to Labour fears that the new Cameron Government at Westminster would impose drastic cuts in the East End.
“We have a deficit that’s growing bigger than anywhere else,” re-elected Opposition councillor Tim Archer told the East London Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
“We don’t need Anchorage House. It is costing council taxpayers �8m a year to rent, including two empty floors, when we have so many disused buildings we own.”
He was responding to fears expressed by Labour’s new council leader that the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government would swing the axe on the East End.
“Cameron said all along we don’t want cuts to frontline services,” Archer added. “We want to protect the vulnerable, those who least can afford to pay to be least affected.”
- 1 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Search is on for next Tower Hamlets Freedom of the Borough award recipient
- 9 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 10 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
The small Tower Hamlets Opposition group is calling for more efficiency and “use the money where it’s needed.”