'Rags to stitches' tale for East End teens
TEENAGERS have been living a rags to stitches dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items. The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week Make Do and Mend project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes
TEENAGERS have been living a 'rags to stitches' dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items.
The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week 'Make Do and Mend' project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes from old hand-me-downs.
For inspiration, the students visited shops in Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Broadway Market and talked to designers at Junky Styling, Rocket and Fabrications to learn about the ethical fashion industry.
Tasnim Saddiqa Amin, Talia Elizabeth Khensous, Tamanna Choudhury, Antara Amin, Fahmida Miah, Morium Begum, Fatama Begum and Shamima Khan's work will be on display at Beverley Alvarez's shop, 158a Columbia Road until April 25 and will then go on show at various events around Tower Hamlets.
You may also want to watch:
The students' course at the Saturday Fashion and Textiles Academy was organised by Tower Hamlets Council's 'A' Team Arts and the 14-19 Hub.
Students are working towards an Arts Awards accreditation at both Bronze and Silver levels.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
For more information about fashion and textiles courses 13-19 year-olds, contact Sarbjit Natt at 'A' Team Arts 020 7364 7908 or email email@example.com