'Rags to stitches' tale for East End teens
TEENAGERS have been living a rags to stitches dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items. The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week Make Do and Mend project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes
TEENAGERS have been living a 'rags to stitches' dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items.
The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week 'Make Do and Mend' project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes from old hand-me-downs.
For inspiration, the students visited shops in Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Broadway Market and talked to designers at Junky Styling, Rocket and Fabrications to learn about the ethical fashion industry.
Tasnim Saddiqa Amin, Talia Elizabeth Khensous, Tamanna Choudhury, Antara Amin, Fahmida Miah, Morium Begum, Fatama Begum and Shamima Khan's work will be on display at Beverley Alvarez's shop, 158a Columbia Road until April 25 and will then go on show at various events around Tower Hamlets.
You may also want to watch:
The students' course at the Saturday Fashion and Textiles Academy was organised by Tower Hamlets Council's 'A' Team Arts and the 14-19 Hub.
Students are working towards an Arts Awards accreditation at both Bronze and Silver levels.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 5 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 6 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 7 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 8 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 9 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 10 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
For more information about fashion and textiles courses 13-19 year-olds, contact Sarbjit Natt at 'A' Team Arts 020 7364 7908 or email email@example.com