'Rags to stitches' tale for East End teens
TEENAGERS have been living a rags to stitches dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items. The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week Make Do and Mend project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes
TEENAGERS have been living a 'rags to stitches' dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items.
The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week 'Make Do and Mend' project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes from old hand-me-downs.
For inspiration, the students visited shops in Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Broadway Market and talked to designers at Junky Styling, Rocket and Fabrications to learn about the ethical fashion industry.
Tasnim Saddiqa Amin, Talia Elizabeth Khensous, Tamanna Choudhury, Antara Amin, Fahmida Miah, Morium Begum, Fatama Begum and Shamima Khan's work will be on display at Beverley Alvarez's shop, 158a Columbia Road until April 25 and will then go on show at various events around Tower Hamlets.
The students' course at the Saturday Fashion and Textiles Academy was organised by Tower Hamlets Council's 'A' Team Arts and the 14-19 Hub.
Students are working towards an Arts Awards accreditation at both Bronze and Silver levels.
- 1 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 2 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 3 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 6 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 7 Man convicted of stabbing Mohamed Ensser to death on Isle of Dogs
- 8 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
- 9 'Large' cannabis factory discovered in former police station
- 10 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
For more information about fashion and textiles courses 13-19 year-olds, contact Sarbjit Natt at 'A' Team Arts 020 7364 7908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org