'Rags to stitches' tale for East End teens
TEENAGERS have been living a rags to stitches dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items. The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week Make Do and Mend project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes
TEENAGERS have been living a 'rags to stitches' dream by transforming old clothes into trendy fashion items.
The eight 13-19 year-olds have been taking part in an eight-week 'Make Do and Mend' project in which they learned sewing skills and making clothes from old hand-me-downs.
For inspiration, the students visited shops in Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Broadway Market and talked to designers at Junky Styling, Rocket and Fabrications to learn about the ethical fashion industry.
Tasnim Saddiqa Amin, Talia Elizabeth Khensous, Tamanna Choudhury, Antara Amin, Fahmida Miah, Morium Begum, Fatama Begum and Shamima Khan's work will be on display at Beverley Alvarez's shop, 158a Columbia Road until April 25 and will then go on show at various events around Tower Hamlets.
You may also want to watch:
The students' course at the Saturday Fashion and Textiles Academy was organised by Tower Hamlets Council's 'A' Team Arts and the 14-19 Hub.
Students are working towards an Arts Awards accreditation at both Bronze and Silver levels.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
For more information about fashion and textiles courses 13-19 year-olds, contact Sarbjit Natt at 'A' Team Arts 020 7364 7908 or email email@example.com