Rail bosses get steamed up as Shoreditch station reopens
RAIL bosses are getting steamed up this-morning as a marketing promotion gets under way for the reopening of the East London Line. A vintage steam locomotive is making a special run to mark the reopening of the line from Shoreditch to New Cross that first saw light of day in 1871
RAIL bosses are getting steamed up this-morning (Thursday) as a marketing promotion gets under way for the reopening of the East London Line later this month.
A vintage steam locomotive is making a special run to mark the reopening of the line from Shoreditch to New Cross that first saw light of day in 1871.
The journeys begin at the original Shoreditch station just off Brick Lane that closed five years ago, now being renamed 'Spitalfields', not to be confused with the new Shoreditch High Street, which is running until 12 noon, using Brunel's world heritage Thames Tunnel between Wapping and Rotherhithe.
You may also want to watch:
Passengers get a scenic view of the urban landscape as the locomotive passes under Whitechapel, Shadwell and Wapping on its way south.
Eager passengers were reported to have been queuing along Brick Lane last night for tickets to ride the first steam locomotive roll through Shoreditch.
Free tickets are still available by email here.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park