Rail bosses get steamed up as Shoreditch station reopens
RAIL bosses are getting steamed up this-morning as a marketing promotion gets under way for the reopening of the East London Line. A vintage steam locomotive is making a special run to mark the reopening of the line from Shoreditch to New Cross that first saw light of day in 1871
RAIL bosses are getting steamed up this-morning (Thursday) as a marketing promotion gets under way for the reopening of the East London Line later this month.
A vintage steam locomotive is making a special run to mark the reopening of the line from Shoreditch to New Cross that first saw light of day in 1871.
The journeys begin at the original Shoreditch station just off Brick Lane that closed five years ago, now being renamed 'Spitalfields', not to be confused with the new Shoreditch High Street, which is running until 12 noon, using Brunel's world heritage Thames Tunnel between Wapping and Rotherhithe.
You may also want to watch:
Passengers get a scenic view of the urban landscape as the locomotive passes under Whitechapel, Shadwell and Wapping on its way south.
Eager passengers were reported to have been queuing along Brick Lane last night for tickets to ride the first steam locomotive roll through Shoreditch.
Free tickets are still available by email here.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend