Ramadan fund-raising tops £1,2m in East London mosque campaign
The East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre concluded Ramadan in high spirits after a successful month of fundraising, raising over £1.2 million towards the mosque s expansion plans. The money was raised from viewers of ethnic satellite channel, Chan
The East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre concluded Ramadan in high spirits after a successful month of fundraising, raising over £1.2 million towards the mosque's expansion plans.
The money was raised from viewers of ethnic satellite channel, Channel S, listeners to LMC's Muslim Community Radio (MCR), and the large congregation at the East London Mosque.
The new development will create more services for women, families and the community as well as more prayer space for men and women.
Fundraising began on the 15th September on Channel S, breaking the ethnic television record by raising £401,600 in one night! On the 27th night of Ramadan over £800,000 was raised in donations and pledges by worshippers attending the nightly prayers as well as people listening at home on Muslim Community Radio.
You may also want to watch:
One donation came from a nine year old boy who gave his entire savings of £8Secretary of the Mosque, Ayub Khan, commented, "We invited people to donate £1500 to build one square metre of the new development, either all at once or spread over three years. The response was magnificent! The community has been delighted at the unprecedented success of the London Muslim Centre, and now want to be part of this exciting next stage. Once again they have shown their passion and commitment to be part of a project that won't just benefit themselves, but the wider society. We must now work harder than ever to raise rest of the £8 million needed to complete the new building.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
- 5 'Tokyo Olympics? Tough call after Covid,' says Montell Douglas
- 6 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 7 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 8 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo