Rapping rhythms at historic East End synagogue
NEW York rapper Eprhyme got heads nodding at London s oldest Ashkenazi synagogue on Monday to celebrate the launch of a Jewish cultural festival. As the world s foremost Jewish hip-hop artist, Eprhyme entertained officials from the London Jewish Forum and
NEW York rapper Eprhyme got heads nodding at London's oldest Ashkenazi synagogue on Monday to celebrate the launch of a Jewish cultural festival.
As the world's foremost Jewish hip-hop artist, Eprhyme entertained officials from the London Jewish Forum and the Greater London Assembly at the launch of first Open Jewish Culture festival at the listed Sandy's Row Synagogue in Spitalfields.
The Brooklyn rapper combined traditional klezmer and Middle Eastern harmonies with jazz and funk rhythms and Kabbalah-themed lyrics as he performed inside the synagogue in front of Boris Johnson's mayoral advisor on arts and culture Munira Mirza.
Open Jewish Culture aims to showcase the best of the capital's Jewish culture in top London venues over the next month.
You may also want to watch:
The programme covers Jewish arts, culture and heritage, looking back at age old traditions while exploring contemporary, challenging themes.
Ms Mirza said: "Open Jewish Culture is a great achievement in showing the diversity of Jewish culture and heritage across London and I hope the coming festival over the next month is a resounding success.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 8 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs