‘Re-enact my son’s death’ Mark Blanco’s mum urges, 10 years on from suspect fall at Whitechapel

PUBLISHED: 07:00 01 December 2016

Mark Blanco before he died [inset photo: Emma Blanco, December 4, 2006]

Mark Blanco before he died [inset photo: Emma Blanco, December 4, 2006]

Emma Blanco

The heartbroken mum of actor Mark Blanco is calling for a reconstruction of the night 10 years ago this coming Saturday when he plunged to his death in London’s East End in suspicious circumstances—after being thrown out of a party over a bust-up with rock star Pete Doherty.

Shiela Blanco and family snapshots of Mark growing up [photo: Advertiser archive]Shiela Blanco and family snapshots of Mark growing up [photo: Advertiser archive]

Mark had been ejected twice, but was already unconscious when he plunged from the second floor balcony at Whitechapel’s Fieldgate Mansions, it has now emerged.

Someone must have thrown him over the balcony, his mother Sheila Blanco and her lawyers believe.

Mark died hours later at the nearby Royal London Hospital, his family at his side.

Now a leading forensic analyst has suggested the reconstruction—promised a year ago by Scotland Yard.

"Something evil happened that night" ...Sheila Blanco's QC Michael Wolkind [Advertiser photo]

“We must have a reconstruction and go through the CCTV again,” Sheila tells today’s East London Advertiser. “I hope to get the police to co-operate.

“I’m highly critical of the Met Police, but realise I have to be pragmatic and hope one day they have the same objective that I have, for truth and justice—which has not happened so far.”

The call for a reconstruction came on Sunday at a 10th anniversary concert for Mark, staged at Westminster Cathedral hall.

New evidence emerging now suggests Mark was already unconscious on the balcony. There had been no scream as Mark fell.

10th anniversary concert for Mark Blanco at Westminster Cathedral hall10th anniversary concert for Mark Blanco at Westminster Cathedral hall

Pete Docherty is seen on CCTV rushing out of the block just minutes after, stepping past Mark as he lay bleeding on the pavement and running off down Romford Street.

It is also now believed that Mark plunged from the second floor where the party was held—not the first floor as police investigators had concluded at the time.

Sheila Blanco’s campaigning QC Michael Wolkind said: “The authorities greeted Mark’s death with incompetence and cover-up, an allergy to finding crime, tainted with celebrity privilege for the person involved in Mark’s death.

“A pathetic but dangerous, mindless thug assaulted Mark and ejected him from the premises.

East London Advertiser front-page reporting Mark's inquest, October, 2007East London Advertiser front-page reporting Mark's inquest, October, 2007

Who was it who punched Mark unconscious and threw his life over the balcony?

“Maybe we’d know if we got a reconstruction and unbiased reinvestigation—without applying celebrity privilege. Something evil happened that night.”

Mark would have had to be lifted over the balcony railing if he was unconscious, Wolkind believes.

Mark was due to open at Stepney’s George Tavern studio theatre the week after he was killed, playing a lead role as an investigator in Death of an Anarchist—ironically about a man in police custody falling to his death from a balcony.

He had turned up at literary agent Paul Roundhill’s flat in Fieldgate Mansions to get backing for the production, but got involved in a bust-up with Doherty and his minder Johnny ‘Headlock’ Jeannevol, witnesses said.

Six people at the party claimed Doherty asked Headlock to get rid of Mark.

They threw him out—but Mark is seen on CCTV returning. The footage then shows him falling to the street 56 seconds later, at 12.30am on December 3, 2006, with Doherty and a woman leaving soon after and followed by Headlock.

Mark died the following day at the Royal London holding his mother’s hand. He was just 30.

Headlock walked into Bethnal Green police station three weeks later and made a confession statement, which he later retracted.

An open verdict was returned at the Poplar inquest the following October, where Headlock’s ‘confession statement’ was made public.

No-one has ever been charged with Mark’s death.

Sheila Blanco made a pledge at the hospital bedside of her son 10 years ago. She told the Advertiser last night:

As Mark lay dying, I vowed to him that I would find out what had happened that night—that is what I intend to do.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser