Real message of G20 Summit sadly lost by protests
Dear Ed, SADLY the basic message from the G20 summit conference may easily be lost—because here in East London we expect to experience massive disruption to our transport systems and our lives this weekend
SADLY the basic message from the G20 summit conference may easily be lost—because here in East London we expect to experience massive disruption to our transport systems and our lives this weekend.
The Government’s goal for the summit is international action to support the global economy, as no one country can resolve the crisis alone.
In Britain, stabilising the banks has been the priority, followed by support for families through tax cuts, the VAT cut and then investment in the future by protecting jobs and investment in building schemes such as schools, homes and transport projects.
It is clear that we will suffer transport problems because of the protests and the police precautions.
But if it means we can have a better future for our families, it will be a price worth paying.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 3 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 4 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 5 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 Aspire 'will work for everyone in Tower Hamlets' after winning majority
- 9 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
Jim Fitzpatrick (Lab)
MP for Poplar & Canning Town
House of Commons