Record 83,000 scam tax refund’ emails reported in a month
A RECORD 83,000 scam emails offering fake tax refunds were reported to HM Revenue & Customs in September, figures out today reveal. The online attacks continue through October with an unprecedented 10,000 reported in one day alone
A RECORD 83,000 scam emails offering fake tax refunds were reported to HM Revenue & Customs in September, figures out today reveal.
The online attacks, known as 'phishing', have continued through October with an unprecedented 10,000 reported in one day alone.
The scam email tells recipients they are due a tax refund and asks for bank account or credit card details. The fraudsters then use the details to empty victims' accounts.
Victim also risks having their personal details sold on to other criminal gangs.
You may also want to watch:
The latest version of the scam originates from various different websites, which operate for 20 minutes before changing their domain name.
Customs & Excise customer contact online chief John Harrison warned: "We never use emails, telephone calls or external companies for tax refunds. We only contact people in writing by post who are due a refund."
He is urging anyone receiving a 'tax refund' email not to open it, but send it to HM Customs for investigation and then delete it from their computer.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
HM Customs is taking action in a joint operation with other law enforcement agencies in the UK and overseas. Several scam networks have already been shut down.