Record recruitment fair lands Olympics jobs for 250 applicants
A record number of jobs has been landed at next summer’s Olympics after an east London recruitment fair had 100 per cent success for applicants.
All 250 people who turned up have been offered jobs during the Games.
They include many from the East End, like 61-year-old disabled Maria Cheeseman from Stepney Green who has been out of work since a bad road accident 29 years ago and at one point was living on the streets.
The first 50 were presented with celebration certificates at the 15th annual Assembly of Telco, The East London Communities Organisation, held at Stepney’s Troxy venue on Wednesday evening.
London 2012’s chief executive Paul Deighton told the assembly : “Nowhere else in the country could we have got that result.
“We have 100 per cent job offers next summer—the companies taking them on really believe in the people of East London.”
But he added: “We need to turn these temporary jobs into permanent careers.”
- 1 Covid-19: How the situation in Tower Hamlets compares to this time last year
- 2 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 3 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 4 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 5 Met Police arrest more than 900 in London-wide knife crime op
- 6 Commercial Road flat damaged in Whitechapel blaze
- 7 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 8 Two men sustained head injuries in Tower Hamlets commercial robberies
- 9 O's manager Jackett will evaluate team ahead of Northampton Town trip
- 10 Mandatory jabs could deal 'big hit' to east London NHS staffing, says health boss
The applicants were invited on stage by London 2012 chairman Sebastian Coe when their names were flashed up on the big screen to receive their certificates.
Lord Coe said: “The most demanding people we have to work for are the local community, having to leave a legacy of jobs, schools, houses and new development. We could not have achieved it without the support of the people and the ‘host’ boroughs.”
London 2012 has so far run six recruitment events around the country—last month’s jobs fair in Hackney was their best result.