Regent’s Canal volunteers in Big Clean-Up grapple with dumped bike frames—but no wartime bombs this time
- Credit: Canal & River Trust
Volunteers have been using grapple hooks to clear old bike frames dumped in the Regent’s Canal.
They also retrieved a motorbike exhaust and a garden spade from the water.
The operation yesterday by the Canal & River Trust, which maintains the waterway, was part of Tower Hamlets Council’s Big Clean-Up campaign that’s running all week.
The trust has cleared flotsam and jetsam in the past from the canal, including an unexploded Second World War bomb found at Mile End in 2014.
“It’s amazing what you find sometimes,” volunteers’ team leader Ross Fogden admits. “We’re quite pleased with the amount we didn’t find this time, which shows the canal is in a good state below the water, compared to a few years ago. More people are helping us look after our waterways.”
The Canal Trust runs regular volunteering events along east London’s waterways.
Meanwhile, the local authority’s Big Clean-Up programme continues for anyone who want to take part.
You may also want to watch:
It resumes today in streets around Bethnal Green Gardens from 2.30pm, then tomorrow in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs at 10am outside the Docklands Sailing Centre in Millwall, then St Leonard’s Priory in Bromley-by-Bow at 2pm when the mayor rolls up his sleeve to join in. Friday’s events are at Copperfield Road by Mile End Park at 10.30am and the Hollybush Estate in Bethnal Green at 2.30pm.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week