Tim launches crowdfund bid to open Isle of Dogs’ Viva Las Vegan recycled food café
- Credit: Rejuvenate UK
The vegans are coming to the Isle of Dogs in force when artist Tim Barklem opens a community café with recycled food waste.
He’s wants to start his ‘people’s eatery’ next month and take waste food from department stores to turn into a nutritious vegan menu with cheap healthy dishes.
Tim’s Rejuvenate UK not-for-profit organisation has taken over an empty shop along Pepper Street in Millwall where he ran a temporary pop-up café for a day drawing in families from the neighbourhood and even office workers from nearby Canary Wharf.
Now he is crowdfunding to launch his Viva Las Vegan project on a permanent footing.
“This is a groundbreaking community café, in a nutshell,” the 58-year-old Liverpudlian told the East London Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a food waste prevention initiative, diverting away from landfill sites while providing fresh organic vegan food.
“We’re also running courses on nutrition and healthy eating and holding workshops aimed at disadvantaged young people.”
He came to the East End 18 years ago and has been involved in community projects ever since, like last year’s scheme turning an empty basement at Poplar’s Carradale House into a recycling centre.
Now he has a £34,000 target for his ‘recycle’ café to raise by December 17 on his Spacehive crowdfunding page, but plans to open in November with £7,000 he’s raised so far.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact