Reopen Braithewaite St and make it safer
Dear Ed... LIKE Chloe Critchley, I would definitely like to see Braithwaite Street in Spitalfields (formerly Wheler St) reopened to traffic (East London Advertiser, November 4).
This street is now one of the East End’s worst grot spots. When you leave the spanking new Shoreditch High Street Overground station, the first thing you see is utter sleaze and disgusting graffiti smeared all over the place.
It feels unsafe now, precisely because there is no ‘through’ traffic—and the lighting is feeble. The graffiti vandals who plague the neighbourhood sneak down there, before making their way to smear other streets in Spitalfields, because they can so easily get away with it!
Cars and other vehicles passing through will act as a kind of neighbourhood ‘policeman’.
Because there is now plenty of pedestrian traffic to and from the Overground station, the prostitutes and crawlers who used to frequent horrible old Wheler Street will be deterred.
Open up Braithwaite Street—it makes sense.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 5 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 6 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 7 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 8 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 9 'Aggressive, violent behaviour' at Aldgate East tube station
- 10 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan