Reopen Braithewaite St and make it safer
Dear Ed... LIKE Chloe Critchley, I would definitely like to see Braithwaite Street in Spitalfields (formerly Wheler St) reopened to traffic (East London Advertiser, November 4).
This street is now one of the East End’s worst grot spots. When you leave the spanking new Shoreditch High Street Overground station, the first thing you see is utter sleaze and disgusting graffiti smeared all over the place.
It feels unsafe now, precisely because there is no ‘through’ traffic—and the lighting is feeble. The graffiti vandals who plague the neighbourhood sneak down there, before making their way to smear other streets in Spitalfields, because they can so easily get away with it!
Cars and other vehicles passing through will act as a kind of neighbourhood ‘policeman’.
Because there is now plenty of pedestrian traffic to and from the Overground station, the prostitutes and crawlers who used to frequent horrible old Wheler Street will be deterred.
You may also want to watch:
Open up Braithwaite Street—it makes sense.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival