Residents evacuated after major gas leak on Isle of Dogs
PUBLISHED: 08:50 23 July 2013 | UPDATED: 15:53 23 July 2013
Sixteen households were forced to evacuate their homes after a major gas leak at a block of flats.
Firefighters were called to Rodney House, in Cahir Street, on the Isle of Dogs yesterday evening to reports of a gas leak from the mains.
The crews were at the site throughout the night in case there were any explosions before leaving at around 8.30am this morning. National Grid workers also attended.
Alternative accommodation in a nearby Marriott Hotel was organised for those residents affected.
Gas supplies are being cut off as National Grid workers work to resolve the problem. The leak came from a metal gas main, believed to date back to the 1930s.
All residents from the flats - run by housing association East End Homes - were evacuated, according to the London Fire Brigade. The National Grid said it was working hard to ensure residents can go back to their homes as soon as possible.
It is believed residents may be able to move back into their homes tonight, but they may be facing up to a week without a mains gas supply.
Anyone who smells gas or has concerns about gas safety is urged to call the national gas emergency number on 0800 111999.
Check our website for updates. Were you one of the evacuated residents? Call 020 8477 3893 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.