Residents fight to protect tree from the chop
NEIGHBOURS are fighting to protect a 100-year-old tree from the hands of developers following proposed plans to chop it down. Residents living around a 30ft Ash tree which has been growing at the bottom of a garden in Commercial Road, Limehouse, for a
NEIGHBOURS are fighting to protect a 100-year-old tree from the hands of developers following proposed plans to chop it down.
Residents living around a 30ft Ash tree which has been growing at the bottom of a garden in Commercial Road, Limehouse, for a century are hoping to block developers' plans to chop it down.
The area where the tree stands is part of the Lowell Street Conservation Area which covers the north side of Commercial Road at the junction with Lowell Street.
But the tree will soon be surrounded by a brand new development including a four-storey house in the same garden.
You may also want to watch:
Higgins Construction has submitted an application to Tower Hamlets council for permission to remove it over claims its roots are damaging the garden fence by growing underneath it and that once the house is built it will be difficult to maintain the tree.
But neighbour Marie Galea, 58, said: "It is the only bit of greenery that we have around here and all the birds are always nesting in it.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
"We do not want it to go."
Residents have until next Wednesday to raise their concerns with the Town Hall.