Residents suffer five-day power blackout in Spitalfields
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 residents were left without power in their homes, some for as many as four days, after a fire damaged the electrics in a block of flats.
One of those affected, who wished to remain anonymous, said he was forced to charge his mobile phone in his car each night after being left with no power from Wednesday afternoon, October 9, to Sunday evening, October 13.
The cause of the electrical room fire at Hobson’s Place, Spitalfields, owned by Tower Hamlets Community Housing (THCH), is under investigation.
A spokesman for THCH said hotel accommodation was offered to tenants with an allowance for food until power was restored.
As the block was being cleaned at the time it is believed water from a jet hose may seeped into the wires and blown the electrics, though a THCH spokesman said: “There is nothing to suggest that at this stage that this was the cause.”
You may also want to watch:
He added all but two residents have been reconnected to the power supply owing to difficulties in contacting them.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto