Restaurant fined over kitchen cockroaches and mice
THE owners of Baburchi’s restaurant in London’s East End have been fined nearly �4,000 for cockroaches and mice in the kitchen. Public health officers found cockroaches throughout the kitchen and a decomposed mouse carcass in the dry storeroom stuck on a sticky trap when they called in at the premises in Bethnal Green
THE owners of Baburchi’s restaurant in London’s East End have been fined nearly �4,000 for an infestation of cockroaches and mice in the kitchen.
Public health officers found cockroaches throughout the kitchen and a decomposed mouse carcass in the dry storeroom stuck on a sticky trap when they called in at the premises in Bethnal Green.
The cockroaches were crawling on shelves above where open ready-to-eat foods were kept and in the kitchen sink next to dishes used to serve customers.
You may also want to watch:
Mice droppings were found on food preparation tables, inside the oven and behind freezers. The droppings were left for so long in the oven that they were found to be burnt, magistrates heard.
The food storage room at the rear was cluttered with rubbish which attracted pests. Mouse droppings were even found inside vegetable boxes.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
Restaurant co-owner Azizur Khan, 32, from Blackwall, Poplar, told Thames magistrates on Friday: “Both of us were working full time and left the head chef in charge.
“If we knew it would come to this, we would have taken more responsibly in running the business.”
He and his business partner Faruque Ali, 31, from Barking, both admitted breaching public food hygene regulations and were fined �1,865 each.