Revive Royal Wedding street party memories with a knees up for the Big Lunch
After the East End lined the streets with bunting and trestle tables for the Royal Wedding celebrations Tower Hamlets council is making it easier for residents and community groups to host their own street parties to mark the Big Lunch next month.
The Big Lunch campaign aims to get as many people as possible across the country to have lunch with their neighbours on Sunday, June 5.
It can be anything from a few neighbours getting together in the garden or on the street, to a full blown party with food, music and decoration that quite literally stops the traffic.
Since starting in 2009, thousands of Big Lunches have taken place in all kinds of communities and the best part of a million people have taken part. A record number of Big Lunch events are expected to happen this year.
To make it easier for people to apply, all the information needed hold a street party is on one application form available to download at www.towerhamletsarts.gov.uk
You may also want to watch:
The deadline for road closures or open space applications for Big Lunch events is Monday, May 16 at 5pm
To receive a free Big Lunch Starter Pack register online at www.thebiglunch.com or call 0845 850 8181.
- 1 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
The pack contains a step-by-step guide to help you get your event off the ground, plus invitations, posters, ‘crowd cooking’ recipe ideas and stickers and much more.