Right Royal knees-up for East Enders at The Tower with view of Pageant
A right royal street party knees-up was staged for East Enders at the Tower of London this-afternoon.
The Royal palace laid on food and entertainment for 400 members from Tower Hamlets community groups on the riverfront with an unrivalled view of the Queen’s flotilla as it passed by heading under Tower Bridge.
They tucked into a Big Jubilee Lunch with live entertainment before the Royal Pageant arrived.
The rain seemed to hold off just long enough to make it a memorable day for youngsters from Tower Hamlets Army, Air and Police Cadet forces, Scouts, Guides, Our Lady RC Primary School, pensioners from Golden Time groups at Bethnal Green and Cubitt Town libraries, members of Crisis homeless and Neighbours in Poplar charities, the Renaissance Foundation, Shadwell’s Sonali Gardens centre, St Hilda’s in Wapping and Bethnal Green’s Sundial centre.
Music was performed by the Saturday Music Centre Recorder Ensemble, Stepney’s Sir John Cass Steel Pan Orchestra, Spitalfields Music and the Whitechapel Voices Cluster Choir.
And as if that wasn’t enough, the party literally ended with a bag—or rather, 41 bangs. A few yards along, a 41 gun salute was fired to honour the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 8 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?