Rival chefs get hot under collar over who’s Chilli champ
CHEFS created a heatwave that rivalled the hot weather in a chilli cook-off to celebrate American Independence Day. A dozen top cooks rustled up their own trade mark’ chilli dishes in the contest in Brick Lane, in the heart of East London’s famous Currie Mile’
CHEFS created a heatwave that rivalled the hot summer weather in a chilli cook-off to celebrate American Independence Day.
A dozen top cooks rustled up their own trade mark’ chilli dishes in the contest at All Star Lanes bowling alley in Brick Lane, in the heart of East London’s famous Currie Mile.’
Sizzling chilli concoctions impressed 300 people who voted for Charlie Nelson’s dish, Charlie con carne’, to win the People’s Choice award.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, a panel of top foodies— Tom Pemberton from London’s posh Hereford Road restaurant, Dominic Midgley from the London Paper, William Sitwell from Waitrose Food Illustrated and Steve Collins, All Star Lanes’ own chef—deliberated, cogitated and digested before awarding the top prize.
The hottest chef in town, they decided, was Johnny Turner who was crowned Chili Champ.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay
“There was some hot competition here,” he admitted. “I spent a good two, three hours making this traditional recipe that never fails.”
The judges rated his Chilli con Caliente the most balanced and were impressed with its fresh chillies and its consistency.