Rival chefs get hot under collar over who’s Chilli champ
CHEFS created a heatwave that rivalled the hot weather in a chilli cook-off to celebrate American Independence Day. A dozen top cooks rustled up their own trade mark’ chilli dishes in the contest in Brick Lane, in the heart of East London’s famous Currie Mile’
CHEFS created a heatwave that rivalled the hot summer weather in a chilli cook-off to celebrate American Independence Day.
A dozen top cooks rustled up their own trade mark’ chilli dishes in the contest at All Star Lanes bowling alley in Brick Lane, in the heart of East London’s famous Currie Mile.’
Sizzling chilli concoctions impressed 300 people who voted for Charlie Nelson’s dish, Charlie con carne’, to win the People’s Choice award.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, a panel of top foodies— Tom Pemberton from London’s posh Hereford Road restaurant, Dominic Midgley from the London Paper, William Sitwell from Waitrose Food Illustrated and Steve Collins, All Star Lanes’ own chef—deliberated, cogitated and digested before awarding the top prize.
The hottest chef in town, they decided, was Johnny Turner who was crowned Chili Champ.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
“There was some hot competition here,” he admitted. “I spent a good two, three hours making this traditional recipe that never fails.”
The judges rated his Chilli con Caliente the most balanced and were impressed with its fresh chillies and its consistency.