River Rats say Take it easy on the tow path in Mile End
FOLK band the River Rat Pack were entertaining cyclists on The Regent s Canal this week as part of a campaign to make the towpaths safer during National Bike Week. The band performed from the roof of a canal barge moored by the Palm Tree pub in Mile End P
FOLK band the River Rat Pack were entertaining cyclists on The Regent's Canal this week as part of a campaign to make the towpaths safer during National Bike Week.
The band performed from the roof of a canal barge moored by the Palm Tree pub in Mile End Park, off Grove Road on Monday evening as part of a week-long series of events to educate speeding cyclists to slow down and share the towpath with other people.
British Waterways' Towpath Ranger Joseph Young said: "The canals in London are brilliant routes across the city, without the usual hassles of cars, traffic lights and pollution.
"There's a towpath Code of Conduct, which advocates common sense and courtesy that we expect users to abide by to make sure everyone enjoys their time by the water.
You may also want to watch:
"Unfortunately a minority of speeding cyclists give the majority a bad name with other users, particularly pedestrians."
Throughout National Bike Week, British Waterways' Towpath Rangers are running a series of events from live music to gallery rides and towpath information events, to help remind people about the need to share the towpath and travel safely with consideration for others.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
The week will culminate in a boat tour, with bikes allowed on-board, through the Islington Tunnel.
Cyclists and pedestrians normally have to follow an above-ground route over the tunnel, so these trips offer canal users the chance to get a rare glimpse of the inside of the tunnel from the water.