River Rats say Take it easy on the tow path in Mile End
FOLK band the River Rat Pack were entertaining cyclists on The Regent s Canal this week as part of a campaign to make the towpaths safer during National Bike Week. The band performed from the roof of a canal barge moored by the Palm Tree pub in Mile End P
FOLK band the River Rat Pack were entertaining cyclists on The Regent's Canal this week as part of a campaign to make the towpaths safer during National Bike Week.
The band performed from the roof of a canal barge moored by the Palm Tree pub in Mile End Park, off Grove Road on Monday evening as part of a week-long series of events to educate speeding cyclists to slow down and share the towpath with other people.
British Waterways' Towpath Ranger Joseph Young said: "The canals in London are brilliant routes across the city, without the usual hassles of cars, traffic lights and pollution.
"There's a towpath Code of Conduct, which advocates common sense and courtesy that we expect users to abide by to make sure everyone enjoys their time by the water.
You may also want to watch:
"Unfortunately a minority of speeding cyclists give the majority a bad name with other users, particularly pedestrians."
Throughout National Bike Week, British Waterways' Towpath Rangers are running a series of events from live music to gallery rides and towpath information events, to help remind people about the need to share the towpath and travel safely with consideration for others.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
The week will culminate in a boat tour, with bikes allowed on-board, through the Islington Tunnel.
Cyclists and pedestrians normally have to follow an above-ground route over the tunnel, so these trips offer canal users the chance to get a rare glimpse of the inside of the tunnel from the water.