Robbery suspect seen on CCTV dragging woman pensioner, 90, along ground in Hoxton
- Credit: MPS
Footage from CCTV showing a 92-year-old woman being violently robbed in a broad daylight in Hoxton has been released today by detectives.
The woman was attacked from behind as she reached the Lawson medical centre at Nuttall Street in Shoreditch, after being followed through an alley from Hoxton Street at 2.40pm on Tuesday.
The attacker made several attempts to grab her bag. The frail pensioner, desparately trying to hang on, was dragged along the ground in pain and eventually had to let go.
The woman, whose husband recently died after 70 years marriage, was left with extensive bruising to her ribs and arm and is now said to be terrified of leaving the house.
“The devastating psychological trauma of this woman is possibly the worse I have encountered,” Det Insp Paul Ridley said.
You may also want to watch:
“I cannot comprehend how anyone could target a frail lady in her 90s using this amount of violence it’s horrific.
“This has emotionally moved officers seeing this inconsolable elderly lady sobbing about the robbery and recent tragic events in her life.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
The snatch thief fled back into the alley into Hoxton Street with the bag containing the pensioner’s Freedom Pass, mobile phone and £100 cash.
But detectives have traced CCTV footage of the attack and the moments leading up to it.
“We have clear CCTV of the attacker,” Det Insp Ridley warned. “All I need is a name.”
They are appealing for anyone in the area around Nuttall Street and Hoxton Street on Tuesday afternoon who witnessed an attack or saw a suspect loitering or running to contact Hackney CID on 101, or tweeting @MetCC or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111, online www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
The suspect is described as black, with short black hair, who was wearing a blue hooded jacket and dark trousers. No arrests have been made.