Role play used to help immigrant women integrate
FREE English language classes are being run for Bangladeshi women in London’s deprived East End to help them integrate. The classes are organised by City Gateway with role play to create basic situations to learn simple phrases
FREE English language classes are being run for Bangladeshi women in London’s deprived East End to help them integrate.
The classes are organised by City Gateway with role play to create basic situations to learn simple phrases.
Around four-out-of-10 people in Tower Hamlets are Bangladeshi, the charity points out.
One of the main problems women face when arriving in East London from Bangladesh is the language barrier, often preventing them using public services such as GP surgery or the local library.
“We want these women to integrate,” said City Gateway’s marketing manager Jerry Daykin. “But unless they learn English, it’s never going to happen.
“We want to encourage them into work, but the basic English lessons we’re running are also to helps them to make friends.”
- 1 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 2 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 3 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 4 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 5 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 6 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 7 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 8 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
City Gateway is also opening a community cafe at its centre in Poplar on April 29, offering subsidised food and giving the women a chance to practice their English.