Roman rink is icing on Christmas cake
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London’s East End. But the rink in the Roman Road is going to be free
By Linda Lewis
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London's East End.
But the rink being laid on Usher Road, just off the Roman Road in Bow, is going to be free.
It is being run on the last two Saturdays before Christmas, December 12 and 19, from 11am to 4pm.
You may also want to watch:
Skate hire, drinks and mince pies are also free, along with two-hour parking.
The idea was tried out last year by Tower Hamlets council in Old Ford Primary school, but this year they are moving to the market itself.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
"We're hoping people will get their skates on," said deputy council leader Joshua Peck. "I'm certainly planning on joining them, though I probably won't be doing pirouettes, more like just trying to get from one side to another."
The rink is the latest attempt to woo shoppers and boost business. Traders managed to get the Christmas lights back a few years ago, then got the Christmas tree back last year.
The rink is now the icing on the cake.