Roman rink is icing on Christmas cake
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London’s East End. But the rink in the Roman Road is going to be free
By Linda Lewis
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London's East End.
But the rink being laid on Usher Road, just off the Roman Road in Bow, is going to be free.
It is being run on the last two Saturdays before Christmas, December 12 and 19, from 11am to 4pm.
You may also want to watch:
Skate hire, drinks and mince pies are also free, along with two-hour parking.
The idea was tried out last year by Tower Hamlets council in Old Ford Primary school, but this year they are moving to the market itself.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
"We're hoping people will get their skates on," said deputy council leader Joshua Peck. "I'm certainly planning on joining them, though I probably won't be doing pirouettes, more like just trying to get from one side to another."
The rink is the latest attempt to woo shoppers and boost business. Traders managed to get the Christmas lights back a few years ago, then got the Christmas tree back last year.
The rink is now the icing on the cake.