Roman rink is icing on Christmas cake
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London’s East End. But the rink in the Roman Road is going to be free
By Linda Lewis
AN OPEN-air ice-rink is being laid out for Christmas shoppers at a street market in London's East End.
But the rink being laid on Usher Road, just off the Roman Road in Bow, is going to be free.
It is being run on the last two Saturdays before Christmas, December 12 and 19, from 11am to 4pm.
You may also want to watch:
Skate hire, drinks and mince pies are also free, along with two-hour parking.
The idea was tried out last year by Tower Hamlets council in Old Ford Primary school, but this year they are moving to the market itself.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
"We're hoping people will get their skates on," said deputy council leader Joshua Peck. "I'm certainly planning on joining them, though I probably won't be doing pirouettes, more like just trying to get from one side to another."
The rink is the latest attempt to woo shoppers and boost business. Traders managed to get the Christmas lights back a few years ago, then got the Christmas tree back last year.
The rink is now the icing on the cake.