Rotherhithe Tunnel closed after traffic crash: driver critically injured
- Credit: TFL
A serious road crash in which a driver was badly injured and four other people hurt has closed the A101 Rotherhithe Tunnel to traffic in both directions.
The head-on collision involving three vehicles has blocked both sides of the single-bore Thames tunnel between Stepney and Rotherhithe.
It happened during the night at around 2.15am at the southern approach entrance heading northward. The tunnel was cordoned off at either end before the morning rush-hour was getting under way.
Emergency services were at the scene of the crash within minutes.
One of the three drivers involved was rushed to hospital by ambulance and is in a critical condition, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
The London Air Ambulance helicopter was sent to the scene from its Whitechapel base, along with a hazardous area response team.
A London Ambulance spokesman said later: "A man with leg injuries was treated at the scene before being taken to a major trauma centre by road. Four people with minor injuries declined treatment."
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
The Rotherhithe Tunnel was still closed to traffic long after the crash,with diversions operating, including buses. Nearest river crossings for drivers are the A100 Tower Bridge to the west and the A102 Blackwall Tunnel to the east.