Rotherhithe Tunnel closed after traffic crash: driver critically injured
- Credit: TFL
A serious road crash in which a driver was badly injured and four other people hurt has closed the A101 Rotherhithe Tunnel to traffic in both directions.
The head-on collision involving three vehicles has blocked both sides of the single-bore Thames tunnel between Stepney and Rotherhithe.
It happened during the night at around 2.15am at the southern approach entrance heading northward. The tunnel was cordoned off at either end before the morning rush-hour was getting under way.
Emergency services were at the scene of the crash within minutes.
One of the three drivers involved was rushed to hospital by ambulance and is in a critical condition, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
The London Air Ambulance helicopter was sent to the scene from its Whitechapel base, along with a hazardous area response team.
A London Ambulance spokesman said later: "A man with leg injuries was treated at the scene before being taken to a major trauma centre by road. Four people with minor injuries declined treatment."
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 5 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 6 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 7 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 8 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 10 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
The Rotherhithe Tunnel was still closed to traffic long after the crash,with diversions operating, including buses. Nearest river crossings for drivers are the A100 Tower Bridge to the west and the A102 Blackwall Tunnel to the east.