Rotherhithe Tunnel closed all weekend
- Credit: Archant
The Rotherhithe Tunnel will be closed this weekend.
The tunnel will be closed from 10pm on Friday night until 5am on Monday morning for work on the route’s ventilation system.
From Monday, no goods vehicles higher than two metres or heavier than two tonnes will be allowed in the tunnel.
The tunnel was built in 1908 and not designed for modern levels of traffic. Recent TfL inspections found improvements could be required to the ventilation system, and this weekend’s work will allow for a more detailed assesment of the issue.
A planned closure of Blackwall Tunnel on Saturday evening has been cancelled to help relieve traffic.
You may also want to watch:
From Monday, goods vehicles are advised to use Tower Bridge.
TfL’s Glynn Barton said: “Safety is our top priority and this closure and changes to the vehicles allowed in the tunnel are absolutely necessary to ensure the tunnel’s future.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
“This assessment can only be carried out when the tunnel is fully closed to all traffic, and while the work takes place we strongly advise drivers to avoid the area around the tunnel and to allow more time for their journeys.”